Prerequisite: This troubleshooting tutorial is based upon the Windows server series.
Issue 1: I don’t know if the printer is on the network?
- Action: Ping the printer IP address to see if your server is successfully sending (to) and receiving from the printer.
Issue 2: I cannot find my printer model / driver in the Add Printer configuration
- Action: Click on the Windows Update button to update the list of models / drivers from a central Microsoft repository.
Figure 1 displays the Add Printer configuration
Issue 3: The printer set up but is not printing a test page
- Action 1: Check the server is still pinging the printer.
- Action 2: Check that you have the correct driver (follow the steps below).
- Right-click on the printer and select Printer properties and click on the Advanced tab.
- Click on the Driver: dropdown and select a different driver – see Figure 2.
- Right-click on the printer and select Printer properties and click on the General tab.
- Click on the Print Test Page button – see Figure 3.
- Right-click on the printer and select See what’s printing.
If a job is visible here for more than 1 or 2 seconds then it will probably have an error status however, if the interface is empty then it should have successfully been sent to the printer.